Curried Rice with Lentils
- 1-2 tbsp olive or coconut oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2-3 tsp curry powder, to taste
- 1 cup brown rice
- 3/4 cup dried lentils
- 4 cups water
- salt to taste
- 1/2 cup raisins or currants
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 large or 2 medium tart apples, diced
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a heavy-bottomed soup pot. Saute onion with 1 clove of garlic until translucent.
- Add ginger, turmeric and curry powder.
- Add more oil if necessary, and the rice. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the lentils, water, remaining garlic, raisins and sunflower seeds and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce the heat, and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Add the apples and simmer, covered, for another 10 to 15 minutes, or until the water is absorbed.