Make Your Own Sushi
This component meal uses sheets of nori seaweed as its wrapper. I recommend Emerald Cove Organic Nori sheets available at vitacost.com.
Don’t forget that the components listed here are just suggestions to get you started. Choose ingredients that work for you and your family. Get creative, have fun!
1. Nori sheets (see above)
2. Fresh Veggies – cut them into matchsticks where appropriate.
- red pepper
3. Oshitashi – a Japanese spinach dish that can be added to the roll.
- 1 tablespoon sesame seed
- 1 lb spinach, well washed and large stems removed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soysauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons mirin (a Japanes rice wine used as a condiment, available at vitacost.com)
- Toast the sesame seeds in a skillet until lightly colored. Cool.
- Add the spinach to a large saucepan of boiling water and cook 2 to 3 minutes until wilted.
- Have an ice bath ready.
- Drain the spinach in a colander, shock in the ice bath (to retain color of spinach), then drain again.
- Squeeze dry and place in a bowl.
- Mix the cooked spinach with the soy sauce, mirin and sesame seeds.
- Serve at room temperature.
4. Rice – If you want to make Japanese sushi rice you can use either white or brown rice, short grain. Here is one recipe but there are many others online. The recipe always calls for sugar, so use coconut sugar or omit the sugar. http://justonecookbook.com/how-to/how-to-make-sushi-rice/
5. Eden Shake – a blend of sesame seeds and nori flakes, to sprinkle on your rice or on the whole roll. http://www.amazon.com/Shake-Furikake-Foods-Condiments-2-1oz/dp/B0019JPH2C
6. Tamari and Wasabi* – for dipping. Mix a small amount of wasabi into your tamari, or use separately.
*The root of the wasabi plant is used as a condiment, almost like hot mustard. It definitely packs a punch, so be careful how much you use! http://www.amazon.com/EDEN%C2%AE-WASABI-POWDER-88-OZ/dp/B005P0LEJG/ref=sr_1_1?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1396800815&sr=1-1&keywords=eden+wasabi
Some fun extras:
8. Egg Omelette – make a thin egg omelette, adding water or mirin to your scrambled eggs to keep it nice and thin. After it’s cooked, slice it up to add to your sushi rolls
9. Canned tuna
Break the nori sheet into strips, experiment with the size you like. Spread a thin layer of rice on the nori, then sprinkle on some Eden Shake and add your components. Roll tightly. You can lick the edge of the seaweed or put a thin strip of rice to get it to stick shut. Dip in tamari and wasabi mixture. Enjoy!