Make Your Own Spring Rolls
This component meal uses rice paper wrappers (also called Spring Roll Skin) to hold all the ingredients. They are generally sold in a 12 oz package. My favorite rice wrapper brand, Happy Pho Rice Wrappers, can be purchased from Vitacost.com (info below) or Whole Foods.
1. Protein options:
- Chicken or Pork – Use boneless, skinless chicken breast, or pork tenderloin. Slice thinly and combine with sauce: 2 cloves minced garlic, 2 tsp soy sauce, 2 tsp fish sauce, 1 tsp coconut sugar, 1 lemongrass stalk grated (bottom 3 inches only). Marinate for 15-30 minutes. Heat some coconut oil in a pan until very hot and cook until done.
- Shrimp – Peel and cook the shrimp in boiling water. Slice in half before using in the wraps.
- Baked Tofu – Drain and press one 15 oz package of extra-firm tofu for about 30 minutes, slice, then marinate for another 30 minutes in 3 tbs tamari, 1 tbs maple syrup, 1 tbs olive oil, 1 clove minced garlic and some fresh ground pepper. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and bake for 40 minutes at 400 degrees F, turning once. Slice into strips to use in wraps.
2. Fresh Veggies:
- Red Pepper, thinly sliced
- Carrots, thinly sliced
- Cucumber, thinly sliced
- Mung Bean Sprouts
- Any other raw veggies you like!
3. Rice Vermicelli Noodles
Cook following package directions. Sprinkle on a dash of sesame oil, fish sauce, and lemon juice, stir to combine.
My favorite rice vermicelli noodles: Mama Instant Brown Rice Vermicelli Noodles: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008H63OV6?tag=bodyacom-20
Or as an alternative: Eden Foods Mung Bean Pasta – lovely delicate noodles that cook super-quick! These can be purchased from Vitacost.com (info below) or Whole Foods
Mint, Thai Basil, Cilantro – use all three or just your favorites, chopped.
5. Rice Paper Wrappers:
To use the wrappers, fill a pie tin or shallow bowl with warm water (not hot). Dip the edge of the rice paper into the water and submerge the whole thing for 2 or 3 seconds. Remove it and lay it on a clean, dry surface. The paper will still feel a bit stiff but once you add the ingredients and roll it up, it will be soft enough to roll and stick together. You can fill it as is or fold it in half, depending on the size of the spring roll you’d like.
6. Dipping Sauces:
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbs lime juice
- 1 tbs coconut sugar
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- water as needed
Peanut Sauce (warm all ingredients together):
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup creamy natural peanut butter
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- orange juice or maple syrup, to taste (optional, for a touch of sweetness)
Thai “No Peanut” Sauce:
- ½ cup almond butter
- ½ cup canned coconut milk or coconut cream concentrate
- ½ cup applesauce
- Juice from ½ a lime
- ½ tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 ½ teaspoons fresh grated ginger
- ½ teaspoon crushed garlic
Lay the rice paper wrapper on a surface, layer on the ingredients you choose, starting with some lettuce, wrap firmly, and serve with dipping sauces.
Many healthy or less common food products can be found at Vitacost.com. This link will give you $10 off Vitacost